A testamentary guardian is a person you name in your Will to look after your children should both parents pass away.
The person you choose will step into the duties you currently have as a parent so this is a very important decision.
Here are some things to consider to help you pick the best person for the role:
- Are they able to handle the challenge?
- What is their parenting style like?
- Do they live nearby? If not, would your children be able to cope with moving away?
- Are they in a stable relationship?
- Do they have children already?
- What do your children think of them?
We also recommend that you have a conversation with the potential guardian to make sure you both feel certain they are right for the role.
Most people consider it a compliment to be asked to be a guardian – so go ahead and ask!
For more information on choosing a guardian, please call us on 0800 737 738 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.